Some food allergies, especially to nuts and shellfish, can be life-threatening in very sensitive people. The windpipe may go into spasms or the cardiovascular system may go into shock (called anaphylaxis) within minutes after eating a particular food. If you or your child has had a serious reaction to a food, even severe hives or wheezing, discuss with your doctor or allergist the possibility of keeping an adrenaline-filled syringe (such as a bee-sting kit) with you for emergencies. This can be a life-saver if you are not within minutes of an emergency room. To prepare yourself for using the real medicine, use a practice kit to learn what to do and how to do it. If you or your child accidentally eats a food that has caused a severe reaction before, go immediately to the nearest emergency room and sit in the waiting room for a couple hours, just as a precaution. If the reaction is not severe enough to merit emergency treatment, you can go back home. Adults and children who are very allergic should wear a medical alert bracelet.