SELF-HELP METHODS TO REDUCE THE FREQUENCY OF YEAST INFECTIONS
Try the following self-help methods to reduce the frequency and intensity of vaginal yeast infections:
- Cut down on refined sugar in your diet.
- Eat yogurt that contains live
- Shower off the discharge — a handheld showerhead is useful. (Because of the danger of introducing air into your circulatory system, or damage from high water pressure, douching is not advised during pregnancy.)
- Use a pad or panty shield.
- Avoid feminine hygiene sprays, which can irritate vaginal tissues.
- Wear loose cotton panties until your symptoms are gone.
- Avoid tight jeans, exercise pants, leotards, and swimsuits.
- Wear a nightgown and no underwear to bed instead of pajamas.
- Wear skirts rather than slacks, and skip the pantyhose whenever possible.
- Relieve intense itching by applying cold water compresses and sitting in a warm bath to which a cup of cornstarch and a half-cup of baking soda are added.
- Try the over-the-counter Aveeno in your bath, but avoid soaking in substances that may irritate the vagina, such as bubble bath and perfumed soaps.
Lactobacillus acidophilus cultures or take oral acidophilus tablets or powder.