Taste-buds are located primarily on the tongue, though they are also found throughout the lining of the mouth. Thus, the term “gourmet palate” is anatomically correct. Four types of taste receptors are located around the tongue. Sweet and salty tastes are best perceived at the tip and front-sides of the tongue. Sour receptors are located […]
Young athletes burn a lot of calories, so obviously, they need to eat more food than the average person. Yet, for optimal athletic performance, they not only need more food, but they need the right kind of extra nutrition. Besides needing food to meet the body’s basic nutritional requirements, the young athlete will need extra […]
While grilling seafood on a fishing boat in Alaska, the chef taught me a cooking tip to preserve the flavor and texture of seafood: to avoid overcooking, remove the fish from the heat when it is 90% done. The heat from the flesh will naturally finish the remaining 10%.
Soy milk. Nutrient-rich soy beverages are made by pressing the extract, or milk, out of presoaked soybeans. Compared with cow’s milk, soy beverages contain: Less total fat Less saturated fat No cholesterol Three times as much fiber Ten times as much iron Ten times as much copper 75 percent less sodium Twice the niacin No […]
6 Ways to Help Fiber Work Better Getting enough fiber is really quite simple. If you follow the recommendations of the “Food Guide Wheel” and include the amounts of healthy grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes it suggests, you will automatically get enough fiber in your diet. Here are some additional tips to help fiber work better […]