Baby Development in the Womb during Weeks 21-25
Check out the 10 milestones for baby development in the womb:
- By the end of this month baby weighs around 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 pounds.
- Baby is around a foot long.
- Increasing fat deposits beneath the skin cause her to take on a more plump, though still wrinkly, appearance.
- Fingernails and eyelashes develop.
- Scalp hair increases.
- She now has a more recognizable baby face.
- The vernix caseosa now covers the skin completely, like a layer of thin, whitish paste.
- By the 24th week, baby’s nostrils open.
- Her lungs begin to develop air sacs, called alveoli, though not enough of them to sustain breathing outside the womb.
- Baby still needs the nourishment of her mother’s womb! If she were born now her breathing would have to be assisted.