TEN GROWTH MILESTONES AT THIRTY-FIVE TO THIRTY EIGHT WEEKS
Wow! It’s almost time, to greet baby into her new world. What is happening now?
- Baby weighs from 6 to 7 ½ pounds.
- She measures 18 to 20 inches.
- This is her “finishing” stage, and baby gains a tremendous amount of subcutaneous fat, filling him out for birth.
- The lanugo hair has disappeared.
- Some of the vernix caseosa has disappeared, and it seems that just enough of this cheesy substance remains to lubricate him for a smoother passage during birth.
- By this time baby has pretty much run out of room and is tucked up like a little ball.
- During the final weeks inside the womb, baby sucks, swallows, breathes, and blinks.
- He steps, turns his head, and sucks his thumb.
- He grasps and clasps his hands, practicing all the movements he will need after he makes his appearance in the world.
- The air sacs of his lungs are now lined with a substance called surfactant, that keep the lungs expanded after each breath, enabling nearly all babies born at this stage (even early in this stage) to breathe air outside the womb…