This liquid, chewable, or tablet antihistamine is used to help any type of allergic reaction subside. The most common reason to use this is for hives. It can also help with itching and swelling from rashes, insect bites and stings, and allergic food reactions. It can be used at any age, but you should consult with your pediatrician if you feel your child under four years of age needs a dose. It lasts for about six hours and may make a child drowsy. Never use diphenhydramine for the purposes of sedation; improper use can cause oversedation and may be harmful.
This antihistamine can be given every six hours as needed.
- Children under 2 years of age: consult a doctor
- 2 and 3 years: 12.5 milligrams
- 4 and 5 years: 18.75 milligrams
- 6 to 11 years: 25 milligrams
- 12 years and older: 50 milligrams