SELF-HELP METHODS TO REDUCE THE FREQUENCY OF YEAST INFECTIONS
Try the following self-help methods to reduce the frequency and intensity of vaginal yeast infections:
- Cut down on refined sugar in your diet.
- Eat yogurt that contains live Lactobacillus acidophilus cultures or take oral acidophilus tablets or powder.
- Shower off the discharge — a handheld showerhead is useful. (Because of the danger of introducing air into your circulatory system, or damage from high water pressure, douching is not advised during pregnancy.)
- Use a pad or panty shield.
- Avoid feminine hygiene sprays, which can irritate vaginal tissues.
- Wear loose cotton panties until your yeast infection symptoms are gone.
- Avoid tight jeans, exercise pants, leotards, and swimsuits.
- Wear a nightgown and no underwear to bed instead of pajamas.
- Wear skirts rather than slacks, and skip the pantyhose whenever possible.
- Relieve intense itching by applying cold water compresses and sitting in a warm bath to which a cup of cornstarch and a half-cup of baking soda are added.
- Try the over-the-counter Aveeno in your bath, but avoid soaking in substances that may irritate the vagina, such as bubble bath and perfumed soaps.