Questions to Ask Your Doctor When Pregnant
At your first pregnancy checkup, try these 10 questions to ask your doctor when pregnant:
- What hospitals are you affiliated with? Some hospitals are high-tech,
others are high-touch, still others are both
- What is your call schedule? Who covers for you, how often, and what are
these doctors’ birthing philosophies?
- Can I exercise during pregnancy? If so, when should I slow down or stop?
- How much weight can I safely gain? How much is too much?
- Can I use a professional labor support person at the birth? Does your
office provide referrals?
- What is your recommended schedule for prenatal visits?
- Do you believe in walking or changing positions during labor or will I be
stuck in the horizontal position?
- What are routine procedures during labor? Are ultrasound, intravenous
fluids and electronic fetal monitoring used?
- What are your views on episiotomy? Is this routine or as needed?
- What type of payment plan do you have? How does the insurance company participate?