Ease Discomfort from Carpal Tunnel During Pregnancy
To ease discomfort from carpal tunnel during pregnancy, try the following tips:
- Rest your hands more during the day.
- Avoid activities that aggravate the tingling, such as turning your wrist to pour, or anything that involves repetitive wrist movements.
- If you work on a computer, type with your wrists in the neutral position, flexed slightly down, rather than with your wrists curved up. Use a wrist rest to help you maintain this position.
- At night elevate the affected hand or hands on a pillow.
- Wear a plastic splint at night to immobilize your wrist in a neutral position. Look for these in the drug store. If needed, your doctor can prescribe a splint that is custom-fitted to your wrist.
- If the pain is particularly aggravating and persistent, a specialist can immediately relieve the discomfort with periodic cortisone injections, which are safe during pregnancy.