These whole grain cinnamon apple pancakes are not only delicious, they’re also a healthy version of a well-loved, classic breakfast.
- whole grain pancake mix, 2 cups
- milk or buttermilk, 1-3/4 cups
- eggs, 2
- sweetener (raw sugar, honey or fresh apple juice), 1/4 cup
- ground cinnamon (or more, to taste), 1 tablespoon
- ground whole grain fiber (bran, oat, etc), 1/2 cup
- whipping cream, 1/3 cup
- apple, finely chopped, 1 cup
- flax seeds, ground, 1/4 cup (not necessary, but it adds essential fat)
Mix first five ingredients in a bowl and blend until smooth. Add fiber and whipping cream and lightly blend. Stir in chopped apple and ground flax, and you’re ready. Note: You can substitute blueberries for the apples.
Instead of maple syrup, top with homemade apple sauce: Mix 2-3 apples with one ripe banana and a little cinnamon and puree in a food processor.