Do your children seem to catch more than their fair share of illnesses? Here are some ways you can boost their immune system and keep them in school. Take as many of these supplements as you feel is appropriate every day:
- Echinacea - this natural herb will enhance your own immune system. Many research studies have proven its effectiveness. Learn more about dosing information for you and your kids.
- Vitamin C - this simple vitamin can fight off invading germs. Younger kids up to age 6 will benefit from around 250 mg per day. Older kids and adults can take 500 mg per day. Available as a powder, chewable, or capsule. See our article on Vitamin Supplements to read more about it.
- Fruits and vegetable supplement - the immune-boosting properties of nature's food is remarkable. If your kids won't eat enough fruits and vegetables, I recommend Juice Plus fruit and veggie supplements.
- Zinc - this mineral is a safe and effective way to boost the immune system. Children up to age 6 years can take 10 to 20 mg per day. Older kids and adults can take 20 to 40 mg per day.
- Probiotics - the common name used for this is Acidophillus. These are healthy bacteria that live in our intestines and help with our immune system. The best species of probiotics are lactobacillus and bifidobacteria. Available as liquid, powder, and capsules, children and adults can take as directed.
- Avoid weakening your own immune system - Keeping yourself healthy is important too.
Dr. Sears Tip: If you or your child get sick, starting echinacea and vitamin C right away may make your illness shorter and milder.